[mrtg-developers] Re: mrtg 3 ... a mockup cfg file

Alan Lichty alan_lichty at eli.net
Mon May 1 00:43:22 MEST 2000

Tobias -

We came to the same conclusion you did and are currently testing some
code that uses a perl module as its config.  We included enough stuff
so that a graphing program could understand how to label the results
and do nicities such as converting bytes to bits, ATM cells to bits,
etc.  We do already have a script that can rebuild the perl module
configs so we can refresh our interface list every half hour.

We are currently using SNMP version 2c so we can take advantage of
snmpbulkwalks when collecting data for interfaces - this allows us to
grab both the normal 32 bit counters as well as the 64 bits ones with
less overhead than we used to get with snmpgets for the 32 bit
registers.  I am very much interested in version 3, but haven't
started playing around with that yet.

The end result is that we can collect data for all interfaces on a mix
of 75xx and 120xx (60+ routers) in just over 1 minute.

I will have the programmer who is working on this project (Todd Caine)
send some samples of what he is doing to this list.  He doesn't have
home connectivity, so it will be tomorrow before he will see any of
this discussion.

	     Alan Lichty - Supervisor NMS & Applications
	      Electric Lightwave Data & Packet Services
	     Vancouver, Washington         (360)816-4167