[mrtg-developers] Re: How many Routers we can poll using MRTG

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Fri Sep 29 10:06:17 MEST 2000

Jaji Hegde wrote:
> 1. How many routers we can poll with polling frequency of 5 minutes.
> Roughly, if you have done any experiment that would be great. Lets
> assume on average 3 interface for each device.

I estimate we could do at least 3000 targets with MRTG 2.9pre26 and
rrdtool on an Ultra 2. That's 1000 routers /w three interfaces each.

> 2. If the polling doesn't finish by 5 minutes, when cron tries to start
> the second mrtg what happens.

The new job will die and the old one will finish. With rateup, this
wasn't a big problem, but with rrdtool the graphs gets really ugly.

> 3. How CPU intensive is mrtg.

Not very; lots of time is spendt on I/O. But you would want to fork
a lot.

> 4. How can we scale it to poll more routers in the given polling
> frequency.

Add more iron?

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway