[mrtg-developers] Re: cfgmaker reports wrong Max Speed with SNMPv2 (2.10.15)

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
Wed Nov 24 20:21:14 MET 2004

Tobi,

I won't claim to be an expert on SNMP implementations, but after the
reading and thinking that I did when we discovered the problems with
incorrect speeds, I'm of the opinion that my approach would yield the
more "correct" value.  I based my logic on reading the IF-MIB which is
clear about how the vendors should use the objects, and thus my use of
the 2^32 threshold has that document as its basis; I'm not clear about
where the 100,000,000 threshold in your code comes from.

As you point out, the effect of your code is similar, though it could
still run into some rounding problems with higher speed interfaces.

--Larry

--
Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
952/925-0744      Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com