[mrtg] Graphing protocol statistics?

Rune Mossige Rune.Mossige at waii.com
Mon Aug 21 15:03:09 MEST 2000

We would like to start graphing per-protocon statistice between the
'inside' and the 'outside' of our network, and was thinkiing of setting up
a PC with OpenBSD, FreeBSD or something, two network adapters, and
configure ipfw to forward and log everything, and then have mrtg or
rrdtool graph the traffic that flows via this host.

Have anyone done anything similar, and would like to share ideas, scripts,
and mrtg/rrdtool setups?

Is there anything already done for this?

I do not have a cisco, so I can not use netflow.

i do have a Cabletron SSR2000, which have similar functions to netflow,
but I do not know where to start on that one....any help and/or pointers
would be welcomed.

(-: Hiroshima 45, Chernobyl 86, Windows 95 :-)
Our ultimate goal is to make overloaded machines appear to be idle.
High performance, High reliability, Low cost -------- Pick any two.