[mrtg] Re: Graphing abnormalities

Eric Werner ewerner at nwlink.com
Fri Dec 8 18:45:40 MET 2000

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Eric Werner wrote:

> I have found a recent pattern in my graphs that I wanted to ask about and
> see if anyone else has encountered/fixed.
>
> On some graphs, there seems to be a periodic drop on the outbound
> reporting.  On some, this is approximately every 2 hours, others show the
> same behavior every 45 minutes, others every 4 hours, and finally others
> not at all.  Does anyone know of anything that would cause this behavior?
> To make things even stranger, there are two different cycles going on on
> two of my graphs, yet a third, which is simply adding the two together,
> does not display this behavior at all.
>
> Could this be something in the reporting that is losing the information,
> or the creation of the graphs themselves, or just the way planets are
> aligned?

Just wanted to add a bit more information that I have noticed about the
graphing problem here.  It would appear that the cycle of drops in the
graphs is dependant on the amount of data being passed, i.e. as the line
climbs, the drops get closer, the spread further apart as the line
descends.

Might this be an effect of the IOS that we are using?  I wound't think it
would be, but I'm grasping at straws here.