[mrtg] Re: ANNOUCNE 2.9.6

Brian E. Seppanen seppy at chartermi.net
Wed Dec 13 16:20:04 MET 2000

I've tried 2.9.6 in place of 2.9.5 and I still had problems with the pid
file when called as so

su - mrtg -c "cd /home/mrtg/log; /usr/bin/nohup /usr/local/mrtg/bin/mrtg /home/mrtg/main.conf

This works with 2.9.4.  We have it configure in /home/mrtg/main.conf to
run as a daemon.  But we use /usr/bin/nohup (as you can see above) so that
we can capture messages.  messages are sent to ~/log/nohup.out.

I tried integrating mrtg into the redhat start sequence. See the attached
file.  It seems to work partially.  The reason I want to do this is
redhat's init sequence export certain functions to their startup programs.
Anything started with these functions has its output sent to syslog via
/sbin/initlog.

However, it doesn't quite work yet.  I can start it up fine.  It writes a
pid to /home/mrtg.  Shortly afterwards it dissapears from process listings
no core, and no syslog message.

A couple of questions.  Could I modify the script to create the pid in
/var/run as redhat expects to find it there? A shutdown script won't
work without setting it up that way.  Is there a command line switch for
specifying pid file directory?  Any suggestions?

BTW:  If I run it as /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.6/bin/mrtg --user=mrtg --group=mrtg /home/mrtg/main.conf
it runs fine all of the messages are spewed to the terminal from which I
started it.

Another question is why would it dissapear?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Brian Seppanen

--