[mrtg] general MIB question, & a tougher one

Justin Shore listuser at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
Fri Feb 4 09:44:10 MET 2000

	Here's a simple question for you.  I wouldn't aks it on the
list except I've never found a nice layman wording of how to do this.
How do I use MIBs with MRTG?  I've got to setup some pages to monitor
a Cisco 3660 and a 5300.  I know you can do things like PCU temp and
memory but I don't know how and I assume I either need a custom MIB
or the OID (something else I've yet to work with).  Can anyone offer
an easy way of getting started?  It would be much appreciated.
	I also have another question that's a little weird.  On that
3660 I need to monitor 2 DSL customers bandwidth.  Only problem is
that they don't use the same port everytime.  They do however use the
same IP.  What I'm thinking is that if I take their port # from the
data below...

ip.ipRouteTable.ipRouteEntry.ipRouteIfIndex.63.237.114.174 = 154
ip.ipRouteTable.ipRouteEntry.ipRouteIfIndex.63.237.114.175 = 166

...and append it to interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets. I could
then let MRTG query that.  Would that work you think?  Could I do
most of that from within MRTG or would I have to shell script or perl
it?  Any ideas?  Thanks

Justin

--
Justin Shore
K-State Linux Distro Mirror, Sysadmin
macdaddy at vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
<http://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/mirror/rpm2html>
<ftp://vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu/pub/mirror/linux>