[mrtg] Re: Help with MAX TNT IDSL ports

"Helmert, Jörg" Joerg.Helmert at Computer-Partner.DE
Mon Jul 3 10:06:36 MEST 2000

Hi,

first of all, I'm monitoring some MAX 6000. But I think
implementation of SNMP will be the same on TNT's.

On our Ascend Routers (including Pipelines), an active
Connection Profile is bound to a logical interface
(thats how I call it...). The logical interface is bound
to a physical one.
Unfortunately IfOctet Values only show up on the logical
ones.
Why unfortunately?
Oh, our MAX has listed 215 interfaces in the ifTable.
Almost 180 or so are logical ones. Everytime a connection
is made, a random logical interface is choosen...

If you search for Ascend on the list, you'll get many posts
which show resulting problems.

If you only want to sum up that values you can do that with
mrtg (some examples for P50 on the list. Will work for other
ascends to, but adding 180 interfaces might be somewhat too
much...).

Following are the logical interfaces I'm speaking of:
wanidle0: every inactive Connection Profile is bound to this
wanxxx: xxx = three digits; an active Profile will be bound
        to one of them...

If you run cfgmaker you'll get all Interfaces. The inactive
ones are remarked. The active ones will work.
But these are only the active ones at the moment you run
cfgmaker. So be warned. A now working config will show
zero values some time later (hours up to weeks later...).
Depends on how often your interfaces change from active
to inactive and back...

bye,

 Joerg Helmert