[mrtg] Re: Can anyone brief out to install MRTG on winnt

Peck, Steven speck at pandesic.com
Tue Jul 18 20:52:43 MEST 2000

It's not that the 5 minute zip is wrong, just 'dated'.  You need to check
ALL the files to ensure your path is correct.

Other potential conflicts, paticularly if you are coming from an IT support
as opposed to a developer/programmer experiance viewpoint.  If you are using
an NT4 system and have installed the resource kits, make sure that the path
to Perl in the envirnment variable is not pointing to the Perl supplied with
the resource kit.  Make sure you get the latest Perl from Activestates
website.  Make sure you patch it per the instructions from the site.

It can be helpful to add the path to MRTG to the Envirnment variables when
setting up and troubleshooting to avoid a lot of repetitive typing.  Hard
code the path for the actual batch file though.

If you are not a programmer and don't do a lot of scripting, it may not be
obvious but you can name the mrtg.cfg to something else more descriptive, ie
router1.cfg.  For example here is how my MRTGKICK.BAT file is setup

REM  ----MRTGKICK.BAT ---------------------
REM  Purpose   :  Launch mrtg update per AT scheduled times
REM  Started   :  06/06/00  --base implementation and test - one router
REM  Modified  :  06/14/00  --Add routers for remote sites/production start

@echo off

REM - Rancho Cordova Router
c:\perl\bin\perl c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\mrtg
c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\rcmrtg.cfg

REM - Folsom Main router
c:\perl\bin\perl c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\mrtg
c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\fm01_rtr2.cfg

REM - Folsom Internet router outside firewall
c:\perl\bin\perl c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\mrtg
c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\fm01_rtr1.cfg

REM - Folsom Production Network router
c:\perl\bin\perl c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\mrtg
c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\fm01_rtr3.cfg

REM - Sunnyvale Main router
c:\perl\bin\perl c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\mrtg
c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\svale01_rtr2.cfg

REM - San Fransico Main router
c:\perl\bin\perl c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\mrtg
c:\mrtg\mrtg-2.8.12\run\sf01_rtr2.cfg

exit

Yes I realize that I could use START or CALL, but I don't feel the need too.

Other than that, the link that Jason supplied below is the one that got me
going.  In my copius spare time, I hope to get CPU utilization added, course
that seems to be involving a lot of reading about SNMP and time to play with
it.

Have fun.

Steven