[mrtg] Re: Using an external program as a target

Rob Walker rob at valinux.com
Mon Mar 6 15:54:51 MET 2000

Paul> What does MRTG use the third and fourth lines of input from an
Paul> external program target for. I was just tinkering around and got
Paul> MRTG to plot active ports in a residence hall, but was only
Paul> sending MRTG the "input" and "output" values then EOF. No lines
Paul> for uptime or name of device were provided.  The plot is doing
Paul> what I want right now, so if I am not missing anything, I am not
Paul> going to change it.

Paul> On another note, there seems to be a lot of questions on here
Paul> about monitoring non-snmp data. I can't tell if the question is
Paul> really:

Paul> 1) I DO KNOW how to get the data, but DON'T KNOW how I give it to mrtg.
Paul> 2) I DON'T KNOW how to get the data, but DO KNOW how to give it to mrtg.
Paul> 3) I am totally clueless as to how to do both.

Paul> Those who do know may be more forthcoming with information if
Paul> the ones asking the questions could be a little more specific.

I bet those who do know would be even more forthcoming if the
questions came in the form of, "lines n-m of doc/logfile-format.txt
didn't make sense to me, do they mean <this>, or do they mean <that>?"

I sincerely doubt most people asking questions haven't even read that
file.

rob