[mrtg] Re: A Question

Kevin Enslow kevine at gstis.net
Fri Mar 10 17:58:42 MET 2000

Here are a few suggestions I gave to my manager to improve our server:

More memory always helps. You didn't mention what kind of processor
you have, might want to upgrade that.

split your config files up, I have about 5-6 that run at different times.

Make sure your on a switched network.

Also, if you could figure out how to split the load between 2 network
cards, that might help to, but not sure. I haven't tried this yet.

You didn't mention what version of MRTG your running. I'd suggest using the
latest one (2.8.12), with the RRDTool. I'm converting over my configs now
and it seems to be helping.

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 09:14:43AM -0600, Payman N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using MRTG on a (Linux Dell with 256M) server to monitor more than 550
> interfaces. I know that 50 is the highest number it is recommended. But, how
> can I improve the performance of the server (adding more memory, processor,
> disk ...). It seems running many perl programs at the same time make my
> machine very slow.
>
> Thanks,
> Payman

Kevin Enslow         			     GST Data Services
GST Data Services    			     520 SW 6th Ave. Suite 300
Systems Administrator			     Portland, OR 97204