[mrtg] new to MRTG

jack jdhalfacre at home.com
Sun May 28 22:58:04 MEST 2000

I have just recently started using MRTG, and have several questions.
In addition to MRTG, I am using HP LanAnalyzer to monitor network
performance.  My first question is on how to interpret and compare the
results the 2 packages give me.  The HP LanAnalyzer software shows a
snapshot of utilization, errors, etc.  On a particular Cisco 2912 switch,
the maximum utilization is between 10 and 20 percent.  If I total the Max
In and Max Out of all port on this switch, then divide by the rating for
the switch, I get a number below 1%.  What am I missing?
Second question is, I need to get the either the switch or CPU utilization
on a 2948G-L3 switch.  This is a Layer 3 switch, this is using the IOS
software so it's not possible to put the LanAnalyzer on this to use get a
baseline.  What would you recomend?

If necessary I can send some or all of both configuration files.

Thanks,
Jack Halfacre