[mrtg] what to do when interface numbering changes

wagner at grz.at wagner at grz.at
Wed Nov 8 17:10:51 MET 2000

Hi,

if I insert an new card into a modular device (eg. cisco switch) the
SNMP-numbering
changes.
I think that I will get wrong output now and all the old data does not suit
the new numbering.
I have to change all files and the MRTG.cfg.

This makes me very angry because I have adapted manually all interface
descriptions
since MRTG doesn´t read them from the switch (and router).

Is there any possibility (script) for checking such a change and for
adapting the files
automatically?
Or at least for getting the interface description into the mrtg.cfg.

Regards,

Christoph Wagner