[mrtg] oldie/newbie

Erik Denny erik at logical.net
Mon Nov 20 06:27:57 MET 2000

I've been a user of MRTG for over a year, and love it.

I install it, and leave it.

However, I've been trying to track down some info but am coming up empty.

I'm currently using 2.8.12, and am looking at upgrading to probably 2.9.4.
It's monitoring all flavors of cisco gear.  I've even taken a script
someone wrote for monitoring ports on a Cisco 5200 and modified it to
query the actual Cisco SNMP object for # modems in use, rather than the
recursive algorithm it previously used.  It works great for as5800's as
well.

I'm looking for the following info:

1.  Getting VLAN subinterfaces on a Cisco Fastethernet port.  IE.
FastEthernet1/0.2  will no show up on a normal cfgmaker query.  This
happens on 7500's, 7200's and 3600's.  I can only monitoring the raw FE
port, not the virtual one.

2.  Is there a script out there to consolidate log files?  I've had
numerous occaision where DNS was changed for a port, and the log files
weren't moved at the same time.  So then I end up with multiple non-time
overlapping log files for the same physical interface, with no way to put
the data back together.  I've been pulling my hair out on this one.

3.  I have a Lucent PM4 that I'm not able to query the entire chassis- the
script I use now as part of the contrib only reports back 1 card out of
the many in the chassis.  I don't know off the top of my head what OS rev
the unit is.

How stable, and more efficient is the daemon mode?  I'm currently on a
single proc PIII-500 under linux, and have loads of 5+ during query.  I
am looking at 34 devices, with 27 more+++ coming.  One of the devices
have 75 interfaces in them, but most hover around 5-10.

Thanks in advance for any help.

..erik