[mrtg] Re: Stopping the Pop-up Windows in NT ?

Barry Young byoung at europe.chep.com
Mon Nov 27 12:29:16 MET 2000

Likewise I do not wish to pour petrol on the flames of Op.Sys wars
and I am not sounding off against your comments Alex because I
do agree with your sentiments.  However, just a few items for us all
to consider on a Monday morning, in the spirit of co-operation and
friendliness.

We all have a lot to deal with and we should recognise that we do not
necessarily have expertise in every operating system on the market
(I wish I had the time to learn a few more myself). In addition a lot of us
have to adhere to corporate standards, particulary when running
what has become a *production* tool.  So the most optimum choice
of platform is not always available for one reason or another.

The great news is that products such as MRTG are portable and will
run on a variety of platforms.  Yes, sometimes there may be some
limitations but it does provide extremely useful network management
information to a multitude of organisations that would otherwise miss
out.  So at the end of the day, it is the information that is delivered that
counts a lot more than the platform that delivers it.

This list is made of many Unix and NT personnel and I take my hat
off to all those that can offer support in each direction.  This is what
makes products such as MRTG so versatile and so greatly used.

Thanks for waking up my grey matter so early on a Monday morning
Alex.  And best wishes to everyone running and supporting MRTG
whether Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux, NT etc.  I am sure there will come a
time when I have to pose questions relating to a different implementation.

But until then, best regards,

Barry Young
European Networks Manager
CHEP International