[mrtg] Figures reported by MRTG seems to be about a fifth what it should be...

Darryl Ross dross at syc.asn.au
Thu Oct 5 09:38:12 MEST 2000

Hey All,

I'm new to MRTG and this list, so I appologise if my question has already
been answered elsewhere, but I really would like to find an answer to this
one.

(Also, I am on the LinuxSA mailing list here in South Australia, and one
other member of the list has said he is having exactly the same problem,
not sure if he is on this list or not).

I've just set up MRTG 2.8.12 here at work to monitor the utilization of the
WAN link between offices (trying to get some more leverage to get the boss
to upgrade them, if I show him they are over utilized already..). MRTG
however, is only showing about one fifth of what ncftp is showing for the
link. I have my interval set to 5 minutes, and downloaded a file over the
link (from one endpoint to the other so there were no other lag problems)
that took about 20 minutes to download.

ncftp said it downloaded it at 6 Kbytes/second but MRTG said the maximum
speed on the link was 1.1 Kbytes/second. Little bit of a difference there.
The link is a 33.6K analog modem with compression running. Machines at both
end of the link are Pentium class machines running linux and the ucb-snmpd
package that comes with RedHat 6.0, version 3.6.1-4.

Anyone got any ideas?

DR

--

Darryl Ross