[mrtg] Re: mrtg and remote scripts for linux.....

Morten S. Nielsen msn at ipt.dtu.dk
Thu Sep 28 15:37:07 MEST 2000

Jelle Beusen <beusen25 at zonnet.nl> [000912 15:14]:
> Hi everyone.....
>
> Now I have no snmp on most of these boxes....and am not able to put it on there either for various reasons...

Can you install other software?

> So I was looking at the possibility for scripts that run and get the stats...
> well I have a local version just fine and it does what I wanat now I want it to
> collect from atleatst my freesco and my regular linux boxes the stats but I can
> not seem to figure out how to do this....
>
> Now freesco has a limited command set so awk and such don't work ...it does fo
> all my other boxes...
>
> I am stuck now as I have no rsh or what ever anybody ideas on how to get this to
> work maybe someone has it and wants to share the script....
>
> I have this for my target and I know I would need a script of some form to get this to go on remote systems but for my life I can not figure out how ....

Hi I'm a little confused about your problem...

It seems to me that you have two problems.
1. To collect the stats at the client box (freesco,NT...)
2. To transfer the stats to the mrtg server box without snmp (linux)
  from 2 it should be managable...

I'm very much into perl, so I'll list a few options...

ad 1)
It's quite easy to devise a perl solution which collects the proper data
at the box. This program may be made without the need for perl installed on
the box, since one can transform a perl script to a stand-alone executable.

ad 2)
A perl solution could also be made to push the data to the server, or let
the data be available on the client, if security for the clients is a big
issue (via tcp/ip see eg. man perlipc).

Depending on which kind of sw you have on your different boxes a number of
ways may used for transporting data from the client to the server. The
actual processing may then be done at the linux box. Eg. a webserver may
deliver the data or a mail program may send it or a custom c-c++-python...
program may send it to the server.

Whitout knowing what kind of sw you have on your different boxes it's quite hard
to suggest a more specific solution.

PS.
Please set your mailer up to wrap the lines

--
- The Penguin's  1. We are better together than alone
-     Postulate  2. If you push something hard enough it will fall over