[mrtg] Re: quick question

David Sawyer david.sawyer at uk.mckhboc.com
Wed Apr 11 12:13:23 MEST 2001

I know I have posted this before but here it is again...

The only problem with running MRTG as a service is that you have to stop
that service before any changes to your script(s) will take effect.

This is not so with a program called "MRTG Daemon" that I have created.

You create a one line batch file to execute the perl script (eg "perl.exe
mrtg mrtg.cfg") and the program will run the batch file after a specific
time period.
That way the program is running in the background and not the perl-mrtg
process, which will enable you to change your script(s) without having to
stop the timer.

I have a number of people testing this program (it's only a couple of weeks
old), if anybody would like to be notified when all testing is complete drop
me a mail.

Features are:
*	Very simple and easy to use.
*	Option to totally hide the MSDOS box or have it minimised on the
taskbar so you can view any perl/mrtg/rateup/rrdtool errors.
*	Visible timer, if you minimise the daemon, the timer is displayed on
the taskbar.
*	Enables you to add, change or delete your MRTG scripts without
having to use the CTRL+ALT+DELETE then end the Perl task as before.
*	Set polling intervals from 5 minutes to 60 minutes.

Dave

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended
only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient you
must not copy, distribute, or take any action or reliance on it.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender.
Any unauthorised disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail
is strictly prohibited.