[mrtg] Re: MRTG monitoring Solaris 2.6

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Thu Feb 22 22:05:40 MET 2001

It should probably be said that there is really no reason why net-snmp
needs to be running on the same box as mrtg.  Yes, it is useful, but
definitely not necessary.  Getting net-snmp running on the Solaris
box so that the box running mrtg (say, a Compaq running linux)
can get utilization stats out of it is what you should be doing.

If you run mrtg on the Solaris and also want to monitor that same box,
then you definitely need net-snmp running on the same box as mrtg,
unless you want to use the default snmp stuff - which really is very
limited.

Paul

>>> tom carlile <tcarlile at origin.ea.com> 02/22/01 03:31PM >>>

you need to get net-snmp working with mrtg.
checkout these links:

net-snmp: http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/
excellent setup articles: http://www.oreillynet.com/search/index.php?_csp=oreillynet&s=mrtg+snmp

Paul Smith (psmith at metafore.ca) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have seen all over the net people asking how to do monitoring of Solaris
> 2.6 machines, but have not yet found any solutions. Is there a way, or is
> there anyone who has successfully setup to monitor Disk space, CPU, Memory,
> and Networking on Solaris 2.6 machines?
>
> If anyone can help me out here, I would greatly appreciate it. =)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul Smith
>

> --

tom carlile <tcarlile at origin.ea.com>