[mrtg] Re: Which is correct, bits or Bytes? - Throughput

Perry, Duane PerryD at missouri.edu
Fri Feb 23 17:46:05 MET 2001

The setting "Options[_]: bits"  changes the display to indicate bits but the
log is still the number of bytes returned by the device.  The "bits" option
just multiplies everything by 8 and changes the labeling.  Do I understand
this correctly?  You think they are counting bits but charging you for
bytes?  When I have doubted some of my displays I use Getif or snmpget to
manually pull numbers and use a calculator to confirm them.  You could find
the mib for inoctets and outoctets and record the number at 09:00 one
morning,  then record them the next morning at 09:00 and subtract to get the
total traffic (in bytes) for the last 24 hours.

Duane Perry