[mrtg] Re: monitoring specific local IPs

Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt glratt at rice.edu
Tue Feb 27 00:14:04 MET 2001

Off the cuff, it would depend on your Cisco 2500.

If you're using a Cisco 2511 terminal server, as we do, then each
dialup line is (at least in our configuration) configured with a
unique IP address: thus, statistics on each of those Async interfaces
would give us per-IP statistics.

If, however, you're using a Cisco 2501 or other Ethernet router with a
range of addresses on local networks, it becomes more complicated. I
have not done this, but, if it fits with the way your network is
arranged:

	- use the MRTG host as a syslog host;
	- configure a Cisco access-list to log traffic as you see fit
		through the Ethernet interface;
	- write an external script to parse out per-IP data, in the
		4-line format documented in  "doc/reference.*" in your
		MRTG installation;
	- craft a cfg file to call your script, again per
		"doc/reference.*".

-g

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Lee Howard wrote:

> Can somebody please point me in the direction of the documentation where I
> can learn how to configure a Cisco 2500 router and MRTG to help me monitor
> bandwidth utilization of individual local IPs?  Thanks.
>
> I'm brand new to MRTG - just successfully installed 2.9.10 yesterday.
>
> Lee Howard
>

> --

				Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt
				Rice University Network Management