[mrtg] Re: FW: Recreat daily graphs?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Jan 16 16:58:47 MET 2001

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Tim Lovelace wrote:

> That is what I needed. Could you please tell me why this is not possible? Is
> the data no longer in the log file?

The level of detail of the data in the logfile decreases with age.
Otherwise, the logfile would grow ever larger as time progresses.

After a day, only the 30-minute averages and peaks are kept.  After a
week, only the two-hour samples, and after a month only a daily sample
is kept.  After a year, the data is discarded.  There's a bit of fudge
factor, as the "daily" graph is really about 34 hours, but you get the
idea.

In the contrib directory are some utilities for archiving graphs, IIRC,
but once it's gone, it's gone unless you back up the .log files to tape
and have archives.

Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323