[mrtg] Re: cfgmaker troubles

Jakob Ilves jakob.ilves at oracle.com
Wed Mar 21 11:25:44 MET 2001

Hello Garry!

"Garry W. Cook" wrote:

> I'm using cfgmaker (mrtg2.9.7) to generate configs for various Cisco
> routers. However, when I use the --ifdesc=alias                     option
> to set the interface description, it will only use the first 72 characters
> of the description. I've studied the cfgmaker code and cannot determine what
> is the limiting factor. Could it have something to do with perl and variable
> length limitations?
> Any ideas or suggestions?

The limit is imposed somewhere and my gut feeling is that it *might* be the SNMP
agent on the Cisco box itself which only provides the first 72 characters of the
description.  But that's just a gut feeling, it have to be verified by testing
and experimenting.

The reason for starting checking that one out is simply that IF it turns out
that the Cisco SNMP agent is the culprit, you can focus on how to fix/work
around that one before you continue to spend time on cfgmaker.

(Yes, I do have access to Cisco and NMS stuff to actually try that this out.
No, I don't have the time withing the next weeks....  Embarrasing to admit the
latter, but that's the truth).

Just my $0.02...  Good luck!

> Garry W. Cook
> gcook at summitnetworking.com
> 303.359.8322

Best regards

/IlvJa

> --

                (Jakob Ilves) <jakob.ilves at oracle.com>
             {Oracle Global IT, Network Management Group}
[Office as well as mobile phone: +46/8/477 3666 | Fax: +46/8/477 3572]
         - Intranet Home Page: http://jilves.se.oracle.com -

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Desc: Card for Jakob Ilves
-- Size: 444 bytes