[mrtg] Re: forking details

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Nov 14 22:23:46 MET 2001

You know you can pass the cfg as well as the log to 14all.
That way you would not need to modify you scripts that
much, would you?  That way, you can have multiple
configs, but only call 14all with an added parameter,
namely the name of the config file.

Paul

>>> <Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com> 11/14/01 02:05PM >>>

> There's no reason why you can't run multiple mrtg processes
> with multiple config files.  We run 6 different config files
> here to aid in admin with 6 different mrtg processes.
> By splitting the config files you could have a seperate
> config file for each of your 'biggies' thereby resolving any
> possible effect on anything else.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave
>
>>Have you considered splitting your configs into several smaller
>>ones and still use the forks option within the configs.
>>or
>>If it's a small group of devices that are going down every week,
>>you could make this group separate to the rest.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>David Sawyer

(I should have put this in the original message) but the reason
I don't want to run mulitple cfg files is because I use a java
appelate called alitree which makes calls to 14all.cgi to
organize/display my mrtg pages.
It's considerably more complicated to add new devices, and organize
them in the tree if I have multiple config files, although now
that the concept is being suggested, I'm thinking that may be the
only way to go. It would also help with the speed & memory issues
I have with 14all.cgi and big cfg files.

Take a look at http://mrtg.gvolk.com for a (small) example of
mrtg+14all+alitree. It's really nice actually. I don't have
the query time cycle problem with the above site because
it's so small. My big mrtg installation is at work, and is not
publicly accessible.

Thanks for the replies.