[mrtg] Re: Types of protocols

Cliff Savage cliff at acsalaska.net
Wed Oct 24 22:37:54 MEST 2001

At 11:46 AM 10/22/01 -0300, you wrote:

>         How I can see the types of protocols that are passing for the
>interfaces using the MRTG?
>         This is possible?

Hoth - google on Hoth for more information.

It's a set of ipchains firewall accounting rules - they are "empty rules"
but they provide per protocol bytes accounting. It reads the accounting rules
and puts the data into an RRDTool database and does web pages with per
protocol graphs.

You have to have RRDTool installed & working first.

Also, the documentation included with Hoth is vague and it's actually
wrong in a couple of places. Mostly about pathnames to locations of
the .rrd database file...location of the CGI scripts...etc.

Being a linux newbie, I was still able to find where the corrections
needed to be made.

I was pretty happy with the results too, though it was a real bear
to get working properly.

Lotsa Luck.