[mrtg] MRTG General

Tony Andrews tandrews at bemidji.k12.mn.us
Wed Oct 24 23:15:59 MEST 2001

Greetings...

I've just started experimenting with MRTG on a Windows 2000 box and have
some general questions.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
direction.

I've been successful graphing information on all the devices I've tried so
far, but I'm not certain the information the graph is displaying is as
accurate as possible...

In this case, I have an Extreme Networks Summit48 and I want to watch
traffic on two ports that are connected to DSL connections.  Through the
web interface on the switch I can see what the maximum/minimum input and
output rates are, but I would like to see some traffic patterns over
time...  With a very basic MRTG setup, I am getting readings that are well
below what the switch appears to be handling in real-time... for example
one graph shows a maximum of 64K input, but when I look at the statistics
on the switches web interface I see that 200 k is probably a more likely
figure.

Any suggestions as to how I could collect more accurate information for
these types of settings?

I'm currently running "Mr. Daemon" to collect information... would polling
more frequently provide closer data?

Any pointers/places to look would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony Andrews