[mrtg] Memory, Varibles, and Death

Helms Corey S SSgt 374 CS/SCBT corey.helms at yokota.af.mil
Tue Dec 24 00:53:13 MET 2002

Hi all,

     I am using the Cisco OIDs for free memory and largest block free.  In
the graph, it reports total memory as a number I plug into the config file.
I tried doing something like {total memory}+{free memory}, but MRTG freaked
and died.  How do you calculate the total memory of a device for use on the
MaxBytes line?

     On another note, use the cfgmaker script to generate a basic cfg file.
Then I drop some lines at the end for CPU, Memory, Temp, and to tell it to
use RRDTool.  I'd like to use varibles for the values.  I tried something
like:

$IPADDY=192.168.0.1

SomeValue=oid&oid:community@$IPADDY

But MRTG freaked and died.  The cfg file looks something like a programming
language file, can we use varibles and stuff in there?

  Last note.  Sometimes, I lose connectivity to devices out on my network.
It seems that after a while without contacting a device, MRTG freaks and
dies.  I am running on WinNT and using startup shortcuts (as opposed to
services) to launch one copy of MRTG for each device.  Anyone else notice
this?

SSgt Helms
Yokota Siprnet Operations
225-6439

Confusious say:
Drop one screw on the floor, it lost forever.  Drop a hundred screws on the
floor and you say, "Look at all the damn screws I have to pick up."