[mrtg] Re: Weird Graphs

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Dec 31 17:16:00 MET 2002

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 03:06:04PM +0200, Hakan M. Durgut wrote:
> I did the upgrade, and I am using 64-bit rateup but I still get the same
> thing..

I may be wrong on this but I think the 64-bit rateup needs to
be used only when you need to store *rates* above 32 bits.

The "normal" rateup already is able to store arbitrary counter
values (so: above 32 bits) on the first line.

Again: I may be wrong on this.

Somewhat standard debugging method:

for each time MRTG runs do
   copy the first few lines of the .log file to another file
   subtract the previous 1st line from the current 1st line
   compute the rate by hand: diff(counter value)/diff(time value)
   compare:
      -  counter value with expected value from device
      -  computed rate with expected rate
      -  computed rate with computed rate (manual vs. rateup)

This usually shows where you need to look for problem solving.
If MRTG computes the same rate as you did, and if this rate is
nowhere near the expected rate, have a look at the counter values.
If they differ from what you expect, that's the thing to debug.

HTH and happy newyear,
Alex
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit