[mrtg] Win2K CPU Monitoring Was Working, Then Stopped

Cliff cliff at acsalaska.net
Fri Feb 1 07:44:01 MET 2002

Hello - Have I got one for you gurus!

RH 7.1 & MRTG was monitoring CPU utilization on my win2K box.
Had great graphs of both processors - everything was working good.
Then all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore.

error status: noSuchName
(the typical message when one has the wrong OID)

Had to get another 6 pack. One isn't enough for *this*.

Checked the SNMP service on the win2k box.
It's still configged as it was before.

I can still walk the whole tree no problem.
And I can walk the .hrProcessorEntry branch - no problem.

Hold it....I see .hrProcessorLoad.3 and 4!

It turns out that the instance number had changed.
The last digit in the OID.

Here's the line that was working originally:
Target[cpu_both]: hrProcessorLoad.1&hrProcessorLoad.2:public at 192.168.1.175

Here's what I had to change it to:
Target[cpu_both]: hrProcessorLoad.3&hrProcessorLoad.4:public at 192.168.1.175

What makes a CPU instance number change all by itself?
I certainly didn't add 2 more CPUs to the box.
Gawd...if only I could afford a quad processor
mobo in the first place, let alone the price
of the multiprocessor version of win2k.

If this happens again when I'm out of beer money
I'll be in a world of hurt. Any suggestions?