[mrtg] data output correct for mrtg?

Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com
Tue Feb 12 04:21:55 MET 2002

Here's my mrtg.cfg:

RunAsDaemon: Yes
Interval: 5
Target[explorer.cpu]: `vmstat 1 2 | tail -1 | awk '{print $14; print $15;
print
$16; print $17}'`
Title[explorer.cpu]: Processor stats at explorer
PageTop[explorer.cpu]: <H1>Processor stats</H1>
WithPeak[explorer.cpu]: dwmy
MaxBytes[explorer.cpu]: 100
Unscaled[explorer.cpu]: ymwd
Options[explorer.cpu]: growright,nopercent,gauge
LegendI[explorer.cpu]: &nbsp;user:
LegendO[explorer.cpu]: &nbsp;total:
Ylegend[explorer.cpu]: % of CPU
ShortLegend[explorer.cpu]: %
Legend1[explorer.cpu]: % usr
Legend2[explorer.cpu]: % sys
Legend4[explorer.cpu]: % idle
Legend3[explorer.cpu]: % wait

And here's the output that the Target is generating:

0
0
99
0

Of course, the data doesn't look like much, but am I on the right track to
generating useful MRTG data/reports?  It's hard to tell from the graphs
since this system is hardly being used, but it does look like something is
being drawn.

Now that I think about, I guess I don' have to draw the idle % since the
whitespace would be idle.

Thanks.