[mrtg] a little "title" help for Extreme/GigE interfaces

Kevin C Jones kjones at ca.provision.net
Tue Mar 5 19:03:15 MET 2002

Hello all,
    I have recently set up an instance of mrtg, and the graphs look fairly
decent.  However, mgmt has requested that I change the titles on each graph
so that interface descriptions and aliases are represented right in the
title.  Looking at the ifref and ifdesrc parameters I thought that this
would be immediately "doable", but none of the options there result in what
I/mgmt wants.  In essence the current title is:

Traffic Analysis for MSM64/G8Xi-Port 2:8 -- <name of node>

Which as you can see represents the description and type of card @port such
and such followed by the nodename.

What I would like to get is this:

Traffic Analysis for MSM64/G8Xi-Port 2:8><Extreme alias indicator> -- <name
of node>

The ><Extreme alias indicator> (and yes that isn't a typo) is represented by
the following OID's:

[root @localhost kjones]$ snmpget -c public nodename
.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.1008
ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifAlias.1008 = 1:8>vc-ri-1

[root @localhost kjones]$ snmpget -c public nodename
.1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.8021
ifMIB.ifMIBObjects.ifXTable.ifXEntry.ifAlias.8021 = 8:21>gw13bb_mgm

Is there anyway to get this information into the title? I have tried using
$if_snmp_alias in the config files and $html_if_snmp_alias in the html part
of the config files, but as of yet have had no luck.  Any help would be
appreciated. Please...

Kevin Jones
Sysadmin
Shaw