[mrtg] Re: Forking MRTG

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Fri May 31 16:34:56 MEST 2002

> Hi all,
>
>     I decided to check out Forks and see what effect it has on data
> collection...  How do I tell if it's working, tho?  I added it to the
> config and ran MRTG (2.9.18pre12) but I still only see the one instance
> of mrtg in the process list ('ps -ef'  and  'ps auxef')
>
> I'm running this on a RedHat 6.2 system.  Any info appreciated...
> Thanks!

You can tell forking is working by watching top. When a new
poll sequence begins (after <inteval> seconds) you should see
one mrtg process per fork specified in the config file. So
if you set Forks: 10 you should see 10 MRTG processes right
after the poll sequence begins. They'll die relatively quickly,
so you might need to run top in 1 second intervals instead of
the 5sec default. I don't like the forking mechanism for the
reasons listed in:

http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg/msg13364.html

Actually, I should say don't completely _understand_ how the
forking mechanism works, so I have elected to use multiple
daemons instead (at the cost of extra memory).