[mrtg] Re: Is it possible to monitor vpn tunnels?

Jim Horwath jhorwath at agere.com
Wed Nov 27 15:14:29 MET 2002

Heath,

I monitor VPN tunnels here and although they work I do have some
problems with them from time to time.  Many times the baud rate listed
in the cfg file is 32000 regardless of what  the circuit is contracted
to be.  I ask the network engineers to use a bandwidth statement on all
virtual circuits, this seems to really help with capacity calculations.
 Even with using the bandwidth statement the circuits still do not
always detect the correct circuit speed in the cfg file.  However it
appears the graph does reflect the correct speed we are using.  I have
had occasions where we have burst to a value far in excess of the the
baud rate listed in the configuration file, as a result no data is
displayed.  I have the engineers bump the baud rate up a bit and
everything works well.  These tunnels are running on Cisco routers over
a T1 line.  I use more or less a vanilla configuration script for all my
Cisco routers.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim

Heath Deschenes wrote:

>I am curious if it is possible to graph multiple site to site vpn tunnels
>that run over a T1.
>
>Heath Deschenes
>

>--

Jim Horwath