[mrtg] Re: off subject sparkstation 5 lost passwords

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Oct 17 21:36:44 MEST 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Rippe, Mark (CCI-New England) wrote:

> sorry but i could not find anywhere else to go.
> i have seen many entrys with sun problems ...........
> so .........
> my son was messing around with my sparkstation 5
> running sunos 5.8
> he somehow managed to blow away all of the passwords
> needless to say, i cannot get into the machine.
> is there a way to get into this machine or do i have to reload?

Boot from CD-ROM.  (Stop-A, "boot cdrom -s" from ok prompt)

Mount the root partition.

Edit /etc/passwd for root to have no password. (remove the "x").

Remove the machine from the Internet

Reboot multi-user

su and fix things.

Reconnect to the Internet.

www.sunhelp.org may have better and/or more detailed instructions.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323