[mrtg] default values - during outage at device

Vanish Pattni (DSL AK) VanishP at datacom.co.nz
Mon Oct 21 06:11:06 MEST 2002

Hi,

I am graphing freememory status of our routers as gauge values. Now whenever
there ia an outage on the device the values that are logged into the rrd;s
are -1 instead of zero or NaN. A row from rrd-fetch is below:

"1033711200: -1.0000000000e+00 -1.0000000000e+00"

The documentation says and I quote for easy access:

"unknaszero
Log unknown data as zero instead of the default behaviour of repeating the
last value seen. Be careful with this, often a flat line in the graph is
much more obvious than a line at 0."

I would preferably like it to graph values with the last known value. Does
anyone have an inkling about the root of this cause?

thanks anyone
Vanish