[mrtg] External monitoring

Allan Hansen, INBODAN avh at inbodan.dk
Mon Oct 28 18:57:37 MET 2002

Hi All!

First of all; I am not a hardcore MRTG user, but I am trying to take MRTG a
step further from just monitoring router i/o.

My first step is to log active users om my Citrix Servers. I create a small
text file on one of the Citrix servers, the contents is like this

121
1
[Not Available]
Server1, Server2, Server3

- where line 1 is active ICA connections, line 2 is active RDP connections,
line 3 is uptime, and line 4 is a list of server names.

I copy (FTP) this file to my Linux box running MRTG.

In MRTG.cfg I have a target like this

Target[citrix.activeusers]: `/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/CitrixUsers.sh`
Title[citrix.activeusers]: Active Citrix Users
PageTop[citrix.activeusers]: <H1> Active Citrix Users</H1>  <TABLE>
   <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>Citrix Servers</TR> </TABLE>
Maxbytes[citrix.activeusers]: 180
WithPeak[citrix.activeusers]: ymw
Options[citrix.activeusers]: gauge, nopercent, integer
ShortLegend[citrix.activeusers]: users
YLegend[citrix.activeusers]: Active Users
Legend1[citrix.activeusers]: Active ICA users
Legend2[citrix.activeusers]: Active RDP users
LegendI[citrix.activeusers]: users (ica)
LegendO[citrix.activeusers]: users (rdp)

The CitrixUsers.sh script contains this

    cat /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/citrix.txt

When I run CitrixUsers.sh from the command line, it seems OK (produces the 4
lines of output), but when running via MRTG, it logs/graphs nothing.

Hope anyone can give me a hint.

MVH / Regards
INBODAN A/S

Allan Hansen
System Administrator

email: avh at inbodan dot dk (avh snabela inbodan punktum dk)
www: www.ide.dk <http://www.ide.dk/> , www.garant-gulve.dk
<http://www.garant-gulve.dk/> , www.erhvervsgulve.dk
<http://www.erhvervsgulve.dk/>
phone: +45 8941 6100