[mrtg] Help Using MRTG to graph spam/virus messges

David Flanigan dave at flanigan.net
Tue Sep 10 17:06:51 MEST 2002

Gurus of MRTG:

  I have searched the FAQ, docs, and archives for help, but found little.
Forgive me I have missed it someplace and bothered this list out of turn.

  I have been using MRTG for some time for various things, and am trying to
expand that usage somewhat. I have written a little perl script which will
scan my maillogs and count the total messages that were flagged as spam (by
Spam Assassin) or Viruses (by Mailscanner). I am attempting to turn that data
into a nice MRTG graph, and it is not going so well.

The MRTG output can be found here:
http://www.flanigan.net/mrtg/spam.virus.html

As you can see, my output is not close to what expected. I have verified that
my script output it correctly incrementing in counter like fashion (grows by
10-20 spam, 1-2 virus messages per min). MRTG is otherwise working fine, and
my router, sendmail stats, and linx server ethernet stats are all working
great. I have included my mrtg.cfg at the end of this message.

 Any ideas what my problem could be? Any help you can offer would be greatly
appreciated.

 My script outputs the following

SPAM Messages Count
Virus Messages Count
Date when last ran
hostname of my server

 My mrtg.cfg section looks like this:

### Spam / Virus Messages ###
Target[spam.virus]: `/usr/local/bin/spammrtg.pl`
Options[spam.virus]: perminute, absolute, growright
MaxBytes[spam.virus]: 25000
ShortLegend[spam.virus]: msgs/s
Ylegend[spam.virus]: Number of Messages
Legend1[spam.virus]: Spam Messages
Legend2[spam.virus]: Virus Messages
LegendI[spam.virus]: Spam
LegendO[spam.virus]: Virus
Title[spam.virus]: Local Spam and Virus Traffic
PageTop[spam.virus]: <H1>Local Spam and Virus Traffic</H1>

--
Kind Regards,
David A. Flanigan

dave at flanigan.net