[mrtg] Re: rrd and mrtg

Ross Tsolakidis rtsolakidis at powerserve.com.au
Tue Sep 17 04:59:40 MEST 2002

I do this...

I use routers.cgi and basically have a url per user..

Here is the readme:

Q. How do I give individual users personalised routers2.conf files?

A.1) You can almost achieve this using the 'extra' parameter, or by changing
   the name of the script, or via a username that has already been
   authenticated by your web server.

   Using the 'extra' parameter:
   First, set up a new section in the routers2.conf for the user or group
that
   you have.  For example, call it 'xxxx'.  Now put extra directives into
this
   section to override the directives in the routers.cgi section. eg:
	[routers.cgi]
	confpath = /mrtg/normal
	cfgfiles = router-*.cfg
	iconpath = /www/html/rrdicons
	[xxxx]
	confpath = /mrtg/special
	cfgfiles = *.cfg
   Now, when you call routers.cgi normally, you will use the [routers.cgi]
   section, as usual.  However, if you use the parameter 'extra=xxxx', then
   the [xxxx] section will override confpath and cfgfiles (although iconpath
   will remain unchanged). Eg:
	http://myserver/cgi-bin/routers.cgi?extra=xxxx

   2)Using the script name:
   You can achieve the same result by renaming the script - for example, if
   the new section was called 'test.cgi', then you could copy the
routers.cgi
   script to 'test.cgi', and when run it would use the [test.cgi] section as
   an override to the [routers.cgi] section.

   3)Using the username:
   First, you must configure your web server to authenticate the user.  This
   will set the username in the CGI parameters.  Then, create a new section
   in the routers2.conf file called [user-USERNAME] (for the appropriate
   USERNAME, of course).  For example, if the user is 'steve', then create
   [user-steve] and put any per-user settings in here.

   You can make as many override sections as you like, although they will
only
   override the [routers.cgi] section, and you can only use one of each type
at
   once.  Also, they must not have the same name as any other existing
   sections, else they won't work correctly.  Note that, if you are really
   crazy, you can use all three of these methods simultaneously.  I wouldn't
   advise it, though.

--

As you can see there a several ways to do it..

I use the first method, then use apache to make url look better  ;) ..  eg:

################## Customer1 ##############################

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>
    ServerAdmin --------------------
    DocumentRoot /var/www/
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/"
    DirectoryIndex /cgi-bin/customer1.cgi
    ServerName stats.customer1.com
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache/customer1-error.log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache/custom.log common
</VirtualHost>

Hope this helps..

The creator of the software Steve Shipway also runs a list, check out his
site for details..
http://www.cheshire.demon.co.uk/pub/

Cheers,
--