[mrtg] Re: mrtg first time installation help

Brett Marler brett at asroma.homeip.net
Thu Jan 9 06:32:18 MET 2003

Hello Ken,

> Now I need help on how to get my MRTG running by at least running one sample
> config and be able to get the data/statistic from the router.
A good place to start is to work out what OID you need to tell MRTG to graph.
You don't mention what vendor equipment your using, so a good place to start
would probably be at your vendor's website, or FTP site. Most (good) vendor's
release MIB's for download so you can work out what OID's your looking for,
amongst other things. Once you work out the OID of what your looking for, you
can either use the accompanied "cfgmaker" (found in the "bin/" dir where the
"mrtg" executable is) or make your own mrtg.cfg (there are many, many examples
on either the MRTG pages or via Google that show what syntax is needed). Some
vendors (Cisco) even have their own pages on how to get MRTG working with
their products.

> BTW, I have apache installed and the daemon httpd is running but not sure
> what else I need to do next...
That's fine, as you'll need httpd running in order to view your MRTG graphs
once it has collected some data from your routers/servers, etc.

Regards,
Brett Marler.

-- Err : No filename to use for decode, file stripped.
-- Type: application/pgp-signature