[mrtg] ifref=descr dosn't work for Cisco devices

Cristian Piatnitchi cristip at rogers.com
Thu May 1 03:51:38 MEST 2003

Hi all
I am trying to setup the monitoring for a few Catalyst2924 switches. I would
like to setup something like this:

Target[ezwf]: \My-Interface2:public at wellfleet-fddi.ethz.ch

I set up a description for the ports that I need to measure. I used the
command "description 'Uplink'" in port configuration mode.
'Uplink' is the name for the port. The problem is that MRTG reports some
errors.

If I try to query the ifDescr object I get jut the standard name of the
interface FastEthernet0/24.
If I try to query the same object under
.Private.Enterprise.cisco.local.linterfaces....locIfDescr which is
1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.28
I get the correct description.

My question is: How do I put a description on an interface so I can use it
this in MRTG ?
The idea behind this setup is to have a flexible setup. If I want to change
the port to be monitored all I have to do is to move the
description on an other port.

Thank you
Cristian