[mrtg] ** Ooops, one of many bad things happened

Gurtej Deol gurtejdeol at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 04:29:40 MEST 2004

I'm compiling mrtg 2.10.14 on a redhat 9 system.
(zlib, libpng and gd already exist on the system)

when following the guide at this stage my problem starts.
And now you can compile gd

For version starting around 2.0.11, try:

wget http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/gd-2.0.11.tar.gz
gunzip -c gd-2.0.11.tar.gz |tar xf -
mv gd-2.0.11 gd
cd gd
env CPPFLAGS="-I../zlib -I../libpng" LDFLAGS="-L../zlib -L../libpng"
./configure --disable-shared \
--without-freetype --without-jpeg
make
cp .libs/* . < ----- Nothing happens. The install errors out stating file(s)
not found

If I overlook this error and go down to configure I get

** Ooops, one of many bad things happened:

a) You don't have the GD library installed.
Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify
its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc,
--with-z-lib and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd
versions 1.6 and higher. Check config.log for more
information on the problem.

b) You have the GD library installed, but not the gd.h
header file. Download the source (see above) and use
--with-gd-inc=DIR to specify where the file can be found.

c) You have the library and the header file installed, but
you also have a shared GD library in the same directory.
Remove the shared library files and/or links (e.g.
libgd.so.2.0.0, libgd.so and libgd.so.2). This is especially
likely if you're using a recent (post 1.8.4) version of GD
and didn't configure it with --disable-shared.

Consider following the instructions in doc/mrtg-unix-guide.txt

I can't work out what the "one of many bad things" is!
1) gd library is installed
2) gd.h is there and has been found.
3) I can't find any symbolic links to libgd as mentioned in this item

I maybe just overlooking something but if I am ... someone kick me

Hoping someone will reply and tell me what the problem is

Thanks,
GD