[mrtg] Re: Maxbytes general deployment

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jan 8 12:22:22 MET 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:05:13PM +0100, Ruben Montes wrote:

> Are there any rules when inserting the value of Maxbytes? Has anybody
> have a table with the relation between the speed of the link and the
> value of Maxbytes?

MaxBytes should reflect the maximum speed of the link, in bytes per
second.  This is used to calculate the percentages below the graph.

If AbsMax is not present, MaxBytes also serves as the boundary for
valid rates.  Any rate above it will be considered invalid and is
thus discarded.

In short:  when MaxBytes and AbsMax are both used, MaxBytes is used to
define 100 percent and AbsMax is used to discard impossible rates.

It is not uncommon to see rates that are higher than the theoretical
limit.  These can be contributed to a couple of causes.  Mostly:
- Imperfection in the method used to measure the device
- Imperfection in the device itself

Personally I think it is best to set MaxBytes to the real maximum
on the link (convert bits to bytes by dividing by eight). Then leave
some room for larger rates by setting AbsMax to 120% of the link speed.

Of course, this all is only valid for standard setups, there may be
good reasons to do it different.

HTH
Alex
--