[mrtg] Re: MRTG "autoconfiguration" script

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 29 21:32:24 MET 2004

>The obvious thing to do in this case is write a Perl script
>that identifies what MIBs the target host supports, walks the
>tree to configure a target for each interface, filesystem,
>CPU, and so forth, and then spits out a MRTG configuration file.
I too have produced such a beastie, called (imaginatively) cfgmaker-host.pl
that will recognise Solaris, ucd-snmp and Linux, along with the host-MIB and
network settings.  It works moderately well for generating MRTG files for
monitoring servers.  Also I have a number of templates for if you are using
the pNSclient or nrpe (nagios agents) so that you can collect data from
them.  All are available from my website in the routers.cgi download
package, should anyone be inclined to grab a copy.

Mike - Ill be taking a look at your script, too, since you probably know of
a whole bunch of OIDs I can pillage.  Please pillage my script in the same
way if you have the wish. :-)

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes