[mrtg] Re: graph timestamped data

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 13 04:53:13 MEST 2004

>I now have an SNMP agent (or custom script) that will deliver data that is
>*timestamped* (standard UNIX seconds-since-1970-Epoch style).
This is an interesting one.

I'd suggest you do it by writing your own collection routine, using RRDTool
as a backend, and using your favourite MRTG frontend to display the data via
a dummy .cfg file.

1) create a dummy .cfg file that specifies everything but has a blank
Target[] line.
2) write a script that is called by cron every 5 mins.  It should use SNMP
to get the data, then call rrdtool directly to store it in the rrd under the
correct timestamp.  You may also need to make a custom RRD file with a
different xff parameter to stop it from always showing grey.
3) DO NOT run MRTG at all on this .cfg file.  It's only for the benefit
of....
4) Use your favourite frontend (routers2/mrtg-rrd/14all/etc) to display the
data in the rrd, using the definitions in the dummy .cfg file.

I use a similar method here to graph data from our mail gateways.  There is
a separate periodic task that looks for a data drop, and then feeds the
dropped data into some RRDs.  A dummy .cfg file allows the routers2 frontend
to display the data sensibly and via the same user interface as all of our
other graphs.

HTH

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes