[mrtg] Re: Fully integrated monitoring

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Jul 6 22:20:46 MEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 13:52 -0400, Brian Atkins wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am really just beginning to scratch the surface of MRTG and am
> currently using it to successfully monitor numerous network devices on
> my LAN.  What I would really like to do is make it act more like an
> early warning device.
>
> Is there a way to specify threashholds and use that to manipulate the
> colors of the graphs?  If so:
>
> 1. Is there a way to specify multiple threashholds (i.e., cpu exceeds
> 60%, turn the graph orange, 90% turns graph red,...).

Not as such.  I check the thresholds using bbmrtg.pl and tell bigbrother
or hobbit to turn a dot yellow or red when thresholds are exceeded...

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to hack a frontend like routers2.cgi
to change the background color when certain thresholds have been
exceeded, but it's not terribly useful, since you would have to be
staring at them all to see it.  since I have over 5000 targets, that
would be terribly tedious and error prone for me...

> 2. Is there a way to mail a warning notification?

Yes, but it's pretty primitive.   See the thresholds section of the
configuration manual.  If you want a rich alerting language, I would
suggest hobbit (hobbitmon.sourceforge.net)

> I'm assuming that these would pretty much go hand in hand

No they are very different animals.

> and would
> require custom shell/perl scripting to accomplish.

To do it all within mrtg, yes.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy