[mrtg] Re: Introduction and Question

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Fri Aug 11 21:12:14 MEST 2006

Today PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

> > I have used MRTG for network monitoring in one form or another for
> > about 12 years.
>
> Wow, you must have been among the first users...it only was
> made public in '96... ;)

well rrdtool 1.0 was in spring 1995 ...

> Anyway, on to your questions...
>
> > Now, my question; we are monitoring our 25 locations from a
> > data center in Atlanta.  Our latency to varies from between 30ms
> > to 55ms depending on the location.  We currently have our polling
> > interval set to 5 minutes which I believe is the default.

if you mention latency this would sugest that the tool you WANT to
be using is smokeping ... it also lets you configure shorter
intervals ... actually different intervals in a single instance ...

cheers
tobi

http://tobi.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9907