[mrtg] Mrtg daemonized/cron run

Thomas Deliduka thomas at xenocast.com
Wed Jan 25 18:59:05 MET 2006

I have this annoying problem on my network. The backup runs every morning at
4am. When it does, traffic spikes to over 4Mbps on the network for my
servers.

The backup I'm using doesn't allow me to choose the SAN
(faster/non-routable) network to backup for a few servers thus the spike. I
can't avoid this, at this time, until the company updates the backup client.

I have been running MRTG daemonized and I had the idea of stopping the
daemon 5 minutes before the backup and activate it 1 hour later when it's
done. However, even though the log evidence shows that the daemon is
shutting down and starting up again at the appropriate times, I still have
data for the whole hour!

So, my question is, if I run it simply as a cron job every 5 minutes instead
of between 4 and 5 am, will it still fill in the whole hour that I don't
want tracked?