[mrtg] Re: logging

Christopher Noyes cnoyes at csc.com
Tue Jan 16 21:24:32 MET 2007

This is not an MRTG problem.  Cron sends the output of the jobs it ran to
the user who owned them (as specified in the MAILTO variable in crontab).
If you don't want the emails add the following to the end of your cron
entry:    > /dev/null 2>&1 (example cron entry would look something like:
*/5 * * * * /etc/mrtg_scripts/mrtg_5_min_update_cron.sh > /dev/null 2>&1)
In my MRTG setup, I am logging to /var/log/mrtg.log and the only things
that get logged are warnings or errors (such as when a switch, for
whatever reason, stops responding to snmp queries).  This file is usually
empty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.

"Andy Lewis" <Alewis at greenfield.com>
Sent by: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
01/16/2007 02:20 PM

<mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
cc

Subject
[mrtg] Re: logging

I added write to the group and other so everything now has read, write
and execute but still nothing. I have MRTG/RRD running under root.