[mrtg] MRTG draws wrong when the traffic arrive 100 ~110 Mbit...

MrPaul mrpaular at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 04:24:31 CEST 2007

I just threw out a really quick idea as people seem to be having this
problem more and more and it almost always new users.

Just thought that if cfgmaker was told to use snmpv1 (maybe v3) then it will
default to use v2c.  Then it would check for both the ifHC[in|out]octets and
if[In|Out]octets.  If the ifHC[In|Out]octets returns what seems to be a
valid result for the snmp ifnumber/ifindex then it will use that.  Should
that poll return anything that wouldn't be a valid result (string, error,
etc..) then fail automatically to the older 32 bit counters.

I'm willing to bet that most vendors these days do support the 64 bit
counters.  I know all but 1 of the vendors I work with support them (Cisco,
Juniper (M/E Series), Redback, Foundry, and ECI).

Again, if I could do anything more than write a 10 line perl script I would
happily give this a shot but I just don't have that ability nor the time
these days (CCIE is killing me).

Paul