[mrtg] Monitoring trunk info on brocades

Barton Wold Barton.Wold at genmills.com
Mon Apr 21 21:08:33 CEST 2008

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm new to MRTG and still have a bit of a learning curve.  The output of the snmpwalk command is in hex, like:

bcsi.commDev.fibrechannel.fcSwitch.sw.swTrunk.swTrunkGrpTable.swTrunkGrpEntry.swTrunkGrpRx.1 : OCTET STRING-   (hex): length = 8
     0:  00 00 00 01 d1 ab 4c 8b -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --     ......L.........
bcsi.commDev.fibrechannel.fcSwitch.sw.swTrunk.swTrunkGrpTable.swTrunkGrpEntry.swTrunkGrpRx.2 : OCTET STRING-   (hex): length = 8

I am thinking that I need to use the ConversionCode parameter and convert the hex input string into an integer.  But I'm having a problem figuring this out.  When I try to display the input string using a simple conversion code:

sub Hex2Dec {
  my $hex = $_[0];
  print "HEX: $hex\n";
}

The output of the mrtg command is:

HEX: ¨ú-
HEX: |Ð

I obviously can't parse this.  Not surprisingly, the output string using a different OID that is working shows integer values in the output.  So what am I missing?  Is there a parameter I need to pass to the mrtg.cfg file?